1 Jul 2012

Book Review #1

Title: The Look
Author: Sophia Bennett
Date Published: 1st March 2012
Publisher: Chicken House
Age Rating: 12+
Genre: Contemporary
Main Characters
  • Ted Trout
  • Ava Trout

Plot (From Goodreads):
   When Ted is spotted by a model agency, she can’t believe it. At the same time her gorgeous sister, Ava, is diagnosed with cancer. With her world turned upside down, Ted has a lot of growing up to do, some of it in five-inch platforms. Can she be a supermodel and a super sister? Or will she have to choose between fame and family?

Review:
   I really liked this book. Not only did it have a really strong storyline, but it also portrays a serious message in a really heartwarming way.
   Some books really dont work when they have a 15 year old as a narrator, because the narrator may sound too grown up, or too childish. This, however, this worked perfectly for me. Ted's sarcastic sense of humour really suited her character and personality.
   Another good thing about it was Ted's character. She was really strong and positive and tried to be a really good sister whilst Ava was ill. She also took everything in her stride,  so whenever she was called names or laughed at in school, she just carried on.
   I also liked the fact, that, despite how pretty and popular Ava was, she wasn't perfect and had some flaws. This is because in some books, you find characters that are pretty, popular and perfect. They then don't seem human, and you find it hard to interact with them. However, with Ava, this is luckily not the case.
   Overall, I would say that this was a really well written book with a great plot. This book, despite not being my type, really worked for me and I would recomend it to others as a really great book. However, I found some bits a little bit boring.


Rating out of 5:
۞۞۞۞

1 comment:

  1. Found the link to your blog on GR. I'm following via GFC. Great review- normally, I'd want to read the book. But, we had a few people in my family with cancer and I just can't read books like that right now.

    My blog is at: http://365-books-a-year.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...